Digital Eye Fatigue is a technology induced visual impairment
The retina is highly vascularized tissue structure providing the highest oxygen tension of any human tissue.
High energy light impingement induces damaging free radicals and singlet oxygen formation.
Because macular carotenoids absorb light in the blue-green region of the visible spectrum, they act as high energy filters preventing cellular damage by quenching free radicals and/or singlet oxygen thus suppressing photo-oxidative damage.
Digital Eye Fatigue and Astaxanthin
- The body does not produce carotenoids !!!! Dietary intake of carotenoid xanthophyll is essential to overall eye health.
- Astaxanthin has been shown to accumulate in human Vitreous Humor where it significantly increases superoxide scavenging activity while lowering overall total hydroperoxide formation.
- Human studies conducted in Italy and Japan indicate that Astaxanthin provides favorable relief for VDT workers via faster accommodative contraction and reduced asthenopia with faster fatigue recovery.
- Astaxanthin is the perfect complimentary additive to address Digital Eye Fatigue while improving the overall performance of eye healthcare products.
Astaxanthin, Lutein and Zeaxanthin: Ideal carotenoid combination for Digital Eye Health
- Protect and contribute to normal macular pigment deposits
- Potent down regulator of Ocular Inflammatory Cytokine Expression
- Protection from blue light induced retinal damage
- Reduction of DNA Damage
- Improves accommodation contraction
- Protects against Macular Degeneration
- Help fight digital age eye fatigue
CARMIS 2-Year Intervention Study Primary & Secondary Outcomes: Visual Acuity, Contrast Sensitivity
METHODS. In this multicenter, prospective open -label randomized study, 145 patients were randomly assigned to 2 different treatment groups. Interventions were lutein (10 mg), zeaxanthin (1 mg), astaxanthin (4 mg; AZYR SIFI, Catania, Italy), and antioxidants/vitamins supplementation formula or no dietary supplementation for 2 years. Primary outcome was mean changes in visual acuity (VA) at 12 and 24 months. Other measures included contrast sensitivity (CS) and National Eye Institute visual function questionnaire (NEI VFQ-25) scores at 12 and 24 months.
RESULTS. Patients in the treated group showed stabilization of VA with significantly (p=0.003) better VA scores (81.4±7.2) compared to the non -treated group (76.8±8.9) at 24- month follow-up. An improvement in CS (p=0.001) and final mean NEI VFQ-25 composite scores at 12 and 24 months higher in treated group compared to non -treated group were also shown (p<0.001).
CONCLUSIONS. Patients treated with lutein/zeaxanthin and astaxanthin together with other nutrients were more likely to report clinically meaningful stabilization/improvements in VA, CS, and visual function through 24 months compared with non-treated subjects. Further studies are needed with more patients and for longer periods of time.
Test Product: AZYR (SIFI, Catania, Italy): Vitamin C (180 mg), Vitamin E (30 mg), Zinc (22.5 mg), Copper (1 mg), Lutein (10 mg), Zeaxanthin (1 mg), and Astaxanthin (4 mg)
Eur J Ophthalmol 2011
Study conducted by Valensa licensee, SIFI, using Zanthin® PRO Natural Astaxanthin
Eye Pro CARMIS® provides eyes with a potent array of carotenoids, including Zanthin® Natural Astaxanthin, Lutein and Zeaxanthin, all three of which have been shown to cross the blood-retina barrier. These carotenoids reduce oxidative stress to the retina and macular cells, thus protecting the eyes. EyePro MD® contains Zanthin® Natural Astaxanthin, Lutein and Zeaxanthin, clinically tested under the CARMIS study ? (Carotenoid in Age-Related Maculopathy).
- Powerful carotenoid & Omega-3 phospholipid delivery system
- Science-based, natural ingredients
- Zanthin® Natural Astaxanthin
- Lutein + Zeaxanthin
- Verilla™ Perilla Seed Extract ALA Omega-3
- Formula can be customized based on market & channel
Eye Pro CARMIS
|Industry Concerns||The Valensa Advantage|
|Clinical Support||The CARMIS study supports Eye Health with 4 mg of Zanthin Natural Astaxanthin and Valensa holds nine (9) Eye Health patents (4 US and 5 International). Astaxanthin also has a vast body of scientific evidence supporting health benefits|
|Compliance||100% Natural, 100% Vegetarian, No Allergens, No GMOs, Gluten Free|
|Quality / Safety / Purity||Proprietary Deep Extract® supercritical CO2 extraction process that ensures that extracts are clean and free from solvents.|
|Shelf life / Stability||All-natural O2B® peroxidation blocker to prevent degradation and provide a superior 4 years (or more) of shelf life and stability at room temperature.|
|Versatility||Formula can be customized based on market & channel requirements.|